Sunday, January 26, 2014

Foal watch night 5

Today I went home and took a hot bath and a 2 hour nap in my very comfy bed. Oh how I miss my bed. I love it. It's a king sized bed and it has a heated mattress pad. And pillows. Oh, right. Don't. 

Mom and I checked on her and said jello in the morning when Mom took care of the dogs again. In her stall was none other than very soft poop. We were NOT imagining it. Two squishy piles. The rest of what we saw was solid. Her stall was soaked with urine. She peed a TON last night. 


Mom an Ashley took care of her and let her enjoy the nicer weather for quite a while. We repositioned the camera so hopefully there's no more horse hidey hole where she can vanish from the camera view. 

8:20 pm laying sternal. Probably resting up for the big night (in a month).

Geez she's huge. I always wanted a hippo! A few glares at her belly, but sofar she seems to be resting peacefully. 

She rested for about 5 minutes, started biting her belly, rolled, back sternal, bites, roll, back sternal then to her feet. A she got to her feet she spun around quickly and startled. The wind started really picking up and she started moving quickly back and forth in her stall. Maybe wind is scary?

12am Mom and I headed to the barn to take care of puppies. Mom cleaned Dont's stall and I cuddled Don't and took pictures of her udder. We purposely disturbed her so that hopefully she'd think twice about labor tonight. It's just too cold. Other than a few random signs (still holding tail up, for example), she seems to be behaving. 

2:30-5:30 Mom's turn to watch. I took a nap. The report when I woke up was that it's really cold, and Don't is behaving. Mostly resting with a few signs like the tail and rubbing her teeth. Just keeping us on our toes!

7am Don't didn't touch her hay, but she's acting normally. She ate grain for me with little hesitation. 

1pm Don't ate about half of her hay. That's half as much as normal, but better than none. Mom went to work, so I'm on my own for the most part. Brittany might stop by later so that I can nap, which is awesome of her. 

Don't still doesn't have a full udder. That didn't necessarily matter, but tonight I'm taking it as a sign she won't have the baby. It's far too cold, and it takes mom 30 minutes to get home. 
The small side of her udder has caught up with the big side and she's even now, but she still has a crease in the middle. Her teats are filling, too. No wax or milk that we could see. 

Udder day 345: 


And a belly picture! Sorry for the glare but couldn't be helped. 


No comments:

Post a Comment